WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Financial Advisor Job Description
Below is our financial advisor job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Financial Advisor Job Description
Our firm’s financial advisors help clients build wealth by providing sound investment advice. Advisors are responsible for helping clients develop investment strategies and manage their portfolios, and they also execute transactions as clients direct. Financial advisors must have detailed knowledge of multiple investment options and assets so that they can advise clients according to their risk tolerance, goals, and situation.
- Helping clients develop informed investment strategies based on their risk tolerance and goals
- Providing clients with advice on multiple investment options, including both account types and assets
- Guiding clients toward secure and profitable decisions based on their situation
- Monitoring clients’ portfolios and updating them of any significant changes
- Networking with community members to cultivate relationships with potential clients
- Staying abreast of investing trends and news and regularly researching investment options
- Complying with all legal regulations and industry best practices
- Liaising with solicitors, valuers, and other professionals
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or a related field
- Series 6 and Series 63 licenses
- 1+ years of experience as a financial advisor, financial planner, or similar
- Proven record of providing sound financial guidance
- Ability to analyze market data and investment options
- Ability to distill complex investment information into easily understood concepts
- Good presentation, communication, and negotiation skills
- Good knowledge of MS Office and investment database software
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Series 7 license
- Certified Financial Planner certification
- CII, FCA, CISI, DipFA, or similar credentials
- 3+ years of experience as a financial advisor, financial planner, or similar
- Experience managing assets under management exceeding $5 million
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE