WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Kitchen Manager Job Description
Below is our kitchen manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Kitchen Manager Job Description
Our established and respected restaurant seeks a kitchen manager to supervise all back-of-house activities on a daily basis. In this position, you will ensure the kitchen runs smoothly and effectively. Your main responsibilities will include supervision of food preparation and cooking, compliance with safety and cleanliness standards, and inventory management. The ability to manage a full kitchen staff and direct them in the delivery of quality food will ensure success in this position. If you possess the necessary experience and skills, we want to meet you to further discuss this position.
- Manage back-of-house kitchen staff
- Supervise food preparation, cooking, and dishwashing
- Coordinate food orders, ensuring dishes go out in a timely manner
- Check food presentation, verifying guests receive dishes as requested
- Collaborate with the front-of-house manager to ensure balanced portion sizes and pricing
- Order all food and supplies and manage the effectiveness of kitchen equipment through a routine maintenance strategy
- Recruit, hire, and train kitchen staff
- Schedule back-of-house shifts
- Verify the food product storage complies with safety practices
- Manage safety and sanitation standards for back-of-house operations
- Keep food costs on target, maintaining accurate weekly and monthly cost reports
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least one year of proven work experience as a kitchen manager, head chef, or restaurant manager
- Extensive knowledge of food recipes, using a variety of ingredients
- Firsthand experience with menu planning and ordering ingredients
- Extensive knowledge of kitchen safety and sanitation regulations
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to resolve conflict with ease
- Ability to make swift decisions, particularly under pressure
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effortlessly with staff, customers, and distributors
- Ability to manage a diverse team in a fast-paced environment
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings
- Degree in restaurant management or certification from a culinary school is a plus
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.