A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Below is our lecturer job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Lecturer Job Description
Our well-known and respected institute of learning seeks an experienced lecturer to join the team. As a lecturer at our university, your responsibilities will include developing, designing, and producing learning and teaching material that helps our students excel in their studies. Successful candidates should be familiar with the university’s policies and procedures, ultimately contributing to our position as a leader in innovation through research activities and effective delivery of teaching programs.
- Review course applications and interview applicants
- Research, plan, and prepare lecture content
- Supervise and assess students’ work and progress, and offer individualized, constructive feedback
- Identify areas for improvement, and contribute to the preparation and implementation of necessary changes
- Work to ensure all coursework and materials comply with the university’s standards and regulations
- Collaborate with university staff to ensure all student expectations and needs are met
- Act as a mentor to less-experienced colleagues
- Write research proposals and publications
- Stay up-to-date on the latest innovations and techniques through academic journals
- Prepare bids for research project funding
- Manage research projects, including management of budgets as well as graduate students and research staff
- Develop and engage in collaborative partnerships for joint research as well as conduct individual research
- Present your research findings at conferences and via other speaking engagements
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Higher degree in relevant course subject matter
- Applicants should possess, or be working toward, a doctorate in a relevant field
- Demonstrated ability to develop and teach programs, providing support for students working to achieve a higher level of education
- Ability to use a range of teaching techniques to engage students
- Extensive knowledge of specialized coursework to ensure the development of new understanding and knowledge within the field
- Evidence of a positive impact at a discipline program level beyond your own teaching
- Proven experience of research and enterprise activity, including high-quality publications
- Demonstrated ability to win bids and lead research projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to lead a discussion and communicate complex ideas to a broad range of audiences
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Flexible schedule that allows travel, when necessary
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.