WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Litigation Paralegal Job Description
Below is our litigation paralegal job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Litigation Paralegal Job Description
At XYZ & Associates, we believe paralegals are the backbone of our legal team. We seek an experienced litigation paralegal to assist with our ever-expanding caseload. In this position, you will coordinate with an attorney to ensure coverage for every detail of a trial—from inception to closure. Successful candidates must be detail-oriented and possess proven experience in handling all phases of the litigation process.
- Conduct initial case assessments, pre-claim investigations, and legal research, and then report your findings to the attorney
- Draft and file appellate documents, pleadings, and motions
- Manage and maintain discovery indexes and pleadings
- Organize and manage documents, evidence, exhibits, briefs, and appendixes
- Assist attorney with discovery requests, voir dire, witness preparation, and jury selection
- Research and gather information relevant to cases
- Act as a liaison between third parties and trial teams
- Assist with case settlements
- Perform necessary administrative duties to ensure smooth day-to-day operations (e.g., manage a calendar, logistics, and deadlines; organize case files; field phone calls; etc.)
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- At least one year of proven work experience as a litigation paralegal
- Paralegal associate’s degree or other relevant certification
- Extensive knowledge of the court system, law, and legal procedures (e.g., litigation documentation, motions, discovery, and evidence)
- Sound understanding of the day-to-day operations of a legal office, preferably in litigation
- Exceptional organizational skills with an ability to meet strict deadlines while juggling multiple assignments at any given time
- Expert research and critical-thinking skills
- Ability to excel under pressure
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Computer and database literacy, including relevant management software
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Flexibility to work extended hours and/or travel for large cases, as needed
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE