WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Publicist Job Description
Below is our publicist job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Publicist Job Description
Our organization is looking for a motivated and experienced publicist to join our team. As a publicist, you would be responsible for the development and execution of publicity campaigns for our expanding client base. You will play an instrumental role in ensuring that the media and producers are well-informed and enthusiastic about our clients’ products/services. Therefore, the ideal candidate must be creative, energetic, and quick on their feet. This position requires a highly motivated and results-driven candidate who possesses a strong work ethic and excellent communication skills.
- Making connections with clients to identify needs/goals and ensure accurate media representation
- Networking with members of the media
- Pursuing media placements
- Conducting media research
- Coordinating interviews; organizing press tours/publicity events; making travel arrangements; arranging for press passes
- Collaborating with journalists to determine the scope of interviews; preparing clients to avoid surprises
- Releasing statements, taking a proactive approach; representing clients positively and honestly; fielding questions
- Writing press releases
- Reading and responding to online bloggers and social media
- Escorting clients to events and attending press junkets
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations (PR), Communications, Journalism or a related field
- Proven experience in building and representing a client base
- Understanding of PR ethics and professionalism, public relations fundamentals, and media organization
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate in a manner that garners positive attention
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects at any given time, with a sense of urgency regarding deadlines
- Confident and assertive; ability to handle crises with a level head
- Flexible and perceptive, ability to read a situation and adapt to fit evolving needs
- Ability to work long hours and accommodate client needs with little notice
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of industry experience (will consider candidates who have completed an internship program)
- Portfolio of press releases/sample writing
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.