WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Radio Station Manager Job Description
Below is our radio station manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Radio Station Manager Job Description
We are seeking a driven, experienced individual to manage our local radio station. As the radio station manager, you would be expected to supervise the daily operations of our radio station. Duties include coordinating and managing administrative and operational activities, offering the support necessary to deliver the station’s 24-hour radio programming. Participation in this dynamic industry requires unending evaluation of operational processes to ensure compliance and adherence to the station’s overall mission.
- Adhering to broadcast standards and complying with federal and state laws and regulations
- Maintaining accurate records, regularly preparing and communicating reports
- Managing day-to-day operations, including station inventory and supplies, safety and security, and space allocation/utilization
- Actively participating in defining short and long-term goals, policies, and procedures; monitoring all activity to identify necessary changes
- Maintaining a diverse staff, adhering to the station’s mission; delivering assignments; recruiting, scheduling, and training staff; resolving employee concerns
- Coordinating community volunteer program
- Providing support for senior station management
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Broadcast sales, sales management, and mentoring experience, with a proven track record of success in the radio industry
- Knowledge of FCC and other federal, state, and local broadcasting regulations
- Experience with inventory management, promotions, and collections
- Highly developed managerial/leadership skills, including training, coaching, delegating, and motivating staff
- Passionate and goal-oriented, particularly toward sales, sales training and education, and client relations
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of constituencies
- Knowledge of on-air and remote broadcasting processes, public radio principles, procedures, operations, and standards
- Knowledge of fiscal management principles; ability to define short- and long-term goals and develop/manage strategies
- Ability to operate radio station equipment
- Knowledge of current radio trends
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Facility management experience
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcasting, Communications, or a related field
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE