WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Tanning Salon Manager Job Description
Below is our tanning salon manager job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Tanning Salon Manager Job Description
XYZ Tan is looking for an enthusiastic and career-minded individual to fill an immediate salon manager position. As our full-time tanning salon manager, you would be responsible for motivating the salon team, ensuring superior customer experience, and enhancing the overall atmosphere. Strong leadership skills are a must, as you will be expected to make critical decisions regarding safety and service with confidence and ease. If you possess these qualities and are able to motivate the salon team and customer base through positivity and warmth, we would love to hear from you.
- Opening and closing the salon
- Recruiting, hiring, and training new staff
- Scheduling staff; providing employee feedback; terminating staff if necessary; delegating responsibilities
- Basic accounting, including managing salon receipts and expenses, maintaining books, and depositing daily revenues
- Managing inventory; ordering supplies
- Maintaining positive relationships within the community (e.g. clients, local businesses, and vendors)
- Ensuring that the facility is clean and well-maintained; maintaining equipment
- Assisting with advertising and promotions
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 2 years of proven work experience as a Tanning Salon Manager or in a related field (candidates with customer service and/or non-industry management experience will be considered)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate with a variety of personality types
- Experience managing a workforce, with a basic understanding of the intricacies of a salon
- Knowledge of tanning salon safety and current industry trends
- Understanding of sterilization and sanitation standards
- A passion for helping others feel and look their very best
- Self-motivated; strong time management skills and the ability to manage a salon schedule
- Clean and professional personal appearance
- Physically able to stand for long hours
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Completion of Salon Management course
- Flexible schedule; ability to work during peak client times (e.g. evenings and weekends)
- Reliable transportation
Create a free account with ZipRecruiter to post this job description to their online job board.Post to ZipRecruiter
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.
Find out how much the right insurance will cost you.GET A QUOTE