WHAT TO INCLUDE IN A JOB DESCRIPTION
A good job description should include a company overview and job overview, as well as an explanation of the associated responsibilities, skills & qualifications, and work environment. Below are some general guidelines for writing each of these sections effectively.
1. COMPANY OVERVIEW
Providing an accurate, concise description of your business is a great way to attract the right employees. Think of this section as an advertisement for your company -- why should prospective employees want to join your team?
Some useful things to include here are:
- Core company values
- Mission statement
- Brief history of your organization
- Anticipated growth
- Business goals
2. JOB OVERVIEW
In a few sentences, describe the purpose, importance, and fundamental qualities of the position being offered. No need to be too specific or comprehensive here -- the idea is to provide a zoomed-out image of the role the applicant would be filling in your company.
This is where you’ll outline the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job. Bullet-point format is typically the most practical way to present this information.
4. NECESSARY SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are absolutely essential to this position. Consider as many specific conditions of the job as possible in order to create a complete list of qualifications an applicant must have in order to succeed.
5. PREFERRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
List in bulleted format the skills & qualifications that are not essential, but would make an applicant more eligible for the position being offered.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Describe the environment in which the applicant would be spending most of their time. In this description, include information about:
- Company culture
- Pace of work
- Amount of collaborative vs. independent activity
- Who the employee will report to (or vice versa)
Retail Salesperson Job Description
Below is our retail salesperson job description. You can post it as-is to an online job board like ZipRecruiter, or download and customize it to match the unique aspects of your business. Keep in mind that adding a custom company overview and description of the work environment (outlined above) will help you draw in the right applicants.
Retail Salesperson Job Description
Our company is looking for a retail salesperson to join our growing team. As a retail salesperson, you will play an integral role in the success of our company, ensuring that visitors receive outstanding customer service each time they visit our store. The ideal candidate maintains a professional attitude and is passionate and knowledgeable about the products we offer. Ultimately, your role will be to ensure that each customer leaves our store satisfied and willing to share their positive experience with others.
- Greeting customers and offering assistance
- Identifying client needs, building customer confidence by providing accurate information, answering questions, and offering recommendations
- Cross-selling products
- Processing payments; managing returns; documenting sales by creating/updating customer profile records
- Staying current with sales and promotional events; informing customers of current and upcoming offers
- Staying up-to-date about new products/services
- Ensuring that the floor is fully stocked and maintained
- Communicating customer feedback to the store manager
Necessary Skills & Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Basic understanding of sales principles and customer service practices
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; written and verbal proficiency in English
- Positive and professional demeanor
- Ability to multi-task and resolve potential customer issues or complaints with the needs of both the customer and the business in mind
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Enthusiastic, friendly, and energetic
- Ability to take initiative independent of direct supervision
- Flexible and willing to cross-train in other departments
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to meet physical demands: this position involves constant movement, standing, reaching, and lifting up to 50 lbs
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
- Proven work experience as a retail salesperson or a similar role
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or a related field
3 STEPS TO TAKE WHEN HIRING EMPLOYEES
ENSURE LEGAL COMPLIANCE
Hiring employees can be an intimidating and time-consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. We’ve created a hiring compliance checklist to help you get over the legal hurdles with ease. From obtaining an Employer Identification Number (EIN) to confirming work eligibility, our guide covers everything you need to know.
SET UP PAYROLL
Even if your business only has a few employees, setting up a payroll service can save you time for running your business and also ensure that your company is compliant with important federal requirements, such as employee withholding.
We recommend Gusto, a user-friendly payroll platform for small businesses. Try out their services and get one month free.
ACQUIRE WORKERS' COMP INSURANCE
Workers’ compensation insurance provides financial and legal protection for your business and its employees.
Whether or not you need workers’ comp insurance for your company depends on the nature of the job, the employer-employee relationship, and the unique regulations of your state.