Getting Started With Wix
Wix is a simple, flexible website builder you can use to create a website for a wide variety of businesses that offer products, services, or both. If you’re still unsure about the type of business you want to start or if you need some inspiration for your new business’s branding, check out our tools for narrowing down your business ideas, finding the perfect name for your business, and creating a personalized logo.
When you’re ready to try Wix — either to build a new website or migrate an existing business site — you can start with a free trial.
When you sign up for a free Wix account, Wix will ask you to answer a few questions and select some sections you want your website to include. But, this doesn’t prevent you from adding or subtracting features later. It’s simply designed to gauge what type of site you want to build.
Moreover, you don’t have to choose a plan right away. Even if you do, Wix offers a 14-day, money-back guarantee if you’re unhappy with any of its premium (paid) plans. However, this money-back offer is only good on your first purchase, so it’s important to weigh your options and choose your plan wisely. That’s where this article comes in handy.
If you want to migrate an existing online store to the Wix platform, you’ll have to choose a paid Wix plan before you begin. That’ll enable you to follow Wix’s migration guide and use the Cart2Cart Wix Migration app to move the data from your current ecommerce store to Wix.
This app charges a different fee for its migration services based on the ecommerce platform from which you need to move your existing store. Wix supports site migration from more than 80 other platforms, so you likely don’t need to worry if the app will work.
You also must purchase a Wix plan in order to migrate a domain you already own to the Wix platform. Wix will not charge you any additional fees or require a new registration for that domain name.
Website Plans for Service-Based Businesses
Wix offers four different plans to help people create websites for service-based businesses that don’t need an online store or for personal use.
The Wix Combo Plan
Providing a budget-friendly option, the Wix Combo plan is the lowest-level paid plan Wix offers.
The Wix Combo plan includes these features:
- A Free Custom Domain for One Year: This allows you to choose a website identity that matches your business’s branding. You must then pay to renew your domain after the first year.
- Dozens of Free Templates: You can choose from a variety of free templates to help you build your ideal website.
- No Wix Ads: With this plan, Wix will no longer place its own ads on your website.
- A Free Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Certificate: This provides added protection for your website’s information and your visitors’ data.
- Access to the Wix App Market: Here, you’ll find free and low-cost apps to personalize your website and enhance its functionality.
- Up to Three Gigabytes (GB) of Storage: Use this space to store all of your website’s data, images, and graphics.
- Up to 30 Minutes of Video: This feature gives you the ability to add several short videos or one or two longer files to your website to showcase your services.
- 24/7 Customer Service: This enables you to resolve any issues with your account or website day or night via chat, phone support (during business hours only), and email. Wix also has an extensive library of troubleshooting topics always at your disposal.
The Wix Combo plan costs $14 per month when you choose annual billing. If you prefer to pay on a monthly basis, the price rises to $18 per month. Wix also offers discounts if you pay for two or three years upfront.
Ideal Users of This Plan
The Wix Combo plan provides a great starting point if you want to open a side business, showcase personal and professional skills, or create a web presence for a specific project or enterprise. It’s reasonably priced, and you can upgrade to a higher-tier plan at any time without losing your existing content.
Starting with the Wix Combo plan makes an excellent choice for business owners on a tight budget who still want or need a professional-looking website.
The Wix Unlimited Plan
The next step up from the Wix Combo plan is the Wix Unlimited plan, which provides an expanded set of features.
The Wix Unlimited plan also comes with a free year of custom domain registration and an SSL certificate plus:
- Up to 10 GB of Storage: With double the allocation provided by the Wix Combo plan, you’ll have more space to house your website’s data, images, and graphics.
- Up to One Hour of Video: With this plan, you can increase the visual media presence on your website.
- $300 in Advertising Vouchers: You can use these vouchers to buy ads on Google, Microsoft Bing®, and local websites. (Note: Google and Microsoft Bing require an initial purchase of $25 before you may apply your vouchers.)
- One Free Year of the Site Booster App: This plan includes one year of free access to this search engine optimization (SEO) app to help you increase your website’s online visibility.
- One Free Year of the Visitor Analytics App: You’ll also get a free year of access to this app, which tracks your website traffic and helps you identify trends.
The Wix Unlimited plan costs $18 per month when you choose annual billing or $23 per month if you pay on a monthly basis. Wix also offers discounts to those paying for two or three years upfront. In addition, Wix often runs a sale on this plan with the pricing reduced by 30 percent to 50 percent.
Ideal Users of This Plan
Freelancers and service-based entrepreneurs will find this plan valuable because it’s an affordable way to manage a website within a start-up budget. The free year of the Visitor Analytics app included with this plan can provide insights about how a business and/or its website should evolve moving forward.
For anyone seeking to expand into a new line of work or test the waters before committing lots of money to a website builder, the Wix Unlimited plan provides a great place to start.
The Wix Pro Plan
The Wix Pro plan is the company’s most popular option, and Wix brands it as its “best value” offering.
The Pro plan includes all the features of the lower-tier plans plus some notable capacity increases and new offerings. With this plan, you’ll get:
- Up to 20 GB of Storage: This plan includes twice as much storage capacity as the Wix Unlimited plan.
- Up to Two Hours of Video: Here’s another area in which this plan provides double the allocation of the Wix Unlimited plan.
- One Free Year of the Events Calendar App: This app enables you to share upcoming events with your customers as well as schedule sales and celebrations.
- Professional Logo and Social Media Logo Files: With this plan, you can give your website a fresh, clean look and promote your business with consistent branding across your social media accounts.
The Wix Pro plan costs $23 per month when you choose annual billing or $28 per month when you pay as you go. Like Wix’s other website plans for service-based businesses, you can get discounts when you pay for two or three years in advance. You also can take advantage of frequent sales to get this plan for up to 50 percent off.
Ideal Users of This Plan
This plan ideally suits established artists, freelancers, and other service providers. It provides plenty of storage space and video capacity to showcase your work, add blog posts or testimonials, build portfolios or photo galleries, and engage your customers with multimedia content.
The included logo and social media files give the Pro plan a genuinely specialized feel. Business owners who need a worry-free web presence to promote their services can benefit greatly from this plan.
The Wix VIP Plan
The Wix VIP plan represents Wix’s top-tier website plan for service-based businesses.
This plan includes all the features of the lower-tier website plans plus:
- Up to 35 GB of Storage: This extra space increases your capacity to write and share important information with your website visitors.
- Up to Five Hours of Video: With more than twice the time included with the Pro plan, you can create and share even more videos that’ll engage your customers or simply showcase topics and offerings important to your brand.
- Priority Customer Care: This gives you access to 24/7 VIP phone support and the ability to “skip the line” to get the answers you need right away.
The Wix VIP plan costs $39 per month when you choose annual billing or $47 per month if you prefer to pay on a monthly basis. From time to time, you can find sales of up to 50 percent off this plan. Alternatively, you can save money by paying for two or three years upfront.
Ideal Users of This Plan
Busy freelancers, professional service providers, authors, and artists will all find the Wix VIP plan perfect for showcasing their work without the fear of running out of storage space.
If you run an established or rapidly growing business and want to simplify the creation and maintenance of a professional website, the Wix VIP plan is right for you. At just under $40 per month, it’s well worth the cost for the included features and priority customer care.
Business & Ecommerce Plans for Product-Based Businesses
Wix also offers three Business & Ecommerce plans for businesses that need online storefronts, inventory management tools, and reliable web hosting to grow and maintain their customer base. These plans include all the basic Wix offerings, such as SEO features and 24/7 customer service, plus an online store.
The Wix Business Basic Plan
The Wix Business Basic plan represents the bottom tier of Wix’s Ecommerce & Business plans. It provides a lot of value to small businesses — even as the lowest-cost plan in this category.
With the Wix Business Basic plan, you get:
- A Free Custom Domain for One Year: This allows you to brand your business website with a professional, personalized URL.
- A Free SSL Certificate: This will safeguard your website’s and your customers’ information.
- Secure Checkout and Payments: With this plan, you can accept online payments and know Wix will protect the privacy of those transactions.
- No Wix Ads: Wix will no longer place its own ads on your website, giving your site a cleaner, more professional appearance.
- $300 in Advertising Vouchers: You can use these vouchers to buy ads on Google, Microsoft Bing, and local websites. (Note: Google and Microsoft Bing require an initial purchase of $25 before you may apply your vouchers.)
- Up to Five Hours of Video: Use this multimedia feature to promote your products, advertise your business, and engage your customers.
- Up to 20 GB of Storage: This plan provides ample space for your website’s data and media files.
- Customer Accounts: With this feature, you can expedite the checkout process for returning customers, more easily track your regular customers’ information, and manage the creation of recurring orders and subscription payments.
- 24/7 Customer Service: This enables you to troubleshoot any concerns day or night via chat, phone support (during business hours only), and email.
- Unlimited Product Catalog Space: You can sell as many or as few items as you’d like.
- An Online Booking Platform: This feature enables your customers to secure a spot at your upcoming events or classes as well as book appointments with your team members. It also provides calendar syncing to ensure you and your business stay organized. This app is available for the lifetime of your Wix premium plan subscription, so you can always go back and review past events.
- A Ticketing App: If your event requires tickets or proof of purchase for admission, this app allows you to sell physical and mobile tickets directly from your website. Wix charges a 2.5 percent commission fee on ticket transactions, which you can either pay or pass on to your customers. Like the online booking platform, you can access this app for the duration of your plan subscription.
- Menu, Reservation, Room Booking, and Rental Apps: Built for use by restaurants, hotels, and other hospitality businesses, these apps will keep you organized and on top of your business’s available resources. For businesses with employees who need to access rental and room booking listings, these apps keep everyone on the same page and make sure your guests receive the best possible service.
- Art and Media Sales Capabilities: These features can prove useful for artists, musicians, and other creative professionals.
The Wix Business Basic plan costs $23 per month when you choose annual billing or $28 per month if you pay as you go. Wix also offers discounted rates for two- and three-year contracts.
Ideal Users of This Plan
Small businesses that sell creative goods like art, music, and hand-crafted items can benefit from the Wix Business Basic plan’s security and 24/7 service. It’s also an excellent option for small retail businesses and service-based professionals who also sell value-added products.
The Wix Business Unlimited Plan
The mid-tier Wix Business Unlimited plan is the company’s most popular Business & Ecommerce plan.
The Wix Business Unlimited plan adds to or expands upon the features included in the Wix Business Basic plan. Specifically, you get:
- Up to 35 GB of Storage: This plan nearly doubles the space you have to store your website’s data, photos, and multimedia files.
- Up to 10 Hours of Video: Here’s another area in which this plan doubles the capacity of the Wix Business Basic plan.
- Automatic Sales Tax Calculations: This applies to your first 100 transactions per month, reducing the time it takes to process those sales.
- Dropshipping for 250 Products a Month: With service from Modalyst®, you can get your products to your customers with ease and efficiency.
- Up to 1,000 Reviews Collected by Kudobuzz®: Use this feature to tell the world what your customers have to say about your business’s products and customer service.
The Wix Business Unlimited plan costs $27 per month if you choose annual billing or $33 per month when you pay as you go. Wix frequently offers sale pricing on this plan, or you can save money by paying for a two- or three-year contract.
Ideal Users of This Plan
The Wix Business Unlimited plan makes an excellent choice for small and medium-sized retail businesses that want to showcase their products online as well as easily track their inventory, profits, and customer activity. It also can benefit businesses seeking to earn a reputation for helpful service and fast shipping.
The ability to sell an unlimited number of products and integrate dropshipping capabilities makes this an attractive plan for both online ecommerce start-ups and established small retailers.
The Wix Business VIP Plan
Wix’s top-tier ecommerce plan, the Wix Business VIP plan, includes and adds to all the standard features of its other ecommerce plans.
The Wix Business VIP plan provides:
- Up to 50 GB of Storage: With this plan, you’ll have plenty of space for all your website’s data, photos, and multimedia files.
- Unlimited Video Hours: This means you can always add new video content to your site without worrying about exceeding your limit.
- 24/7 Priority Customer Care: This level of support ensures you’ll get prompt, courteous replies to all of your questions and concerns.
- Automatic Sales Tax Calculations: This applies to your first 500 transactions per month, making those customers’ checkouts efficient and accurate.
- Unlimited Dropshipping: Powered by Modalyst®, you’ll get fast, fluid shipping of all your products.
- Up to 3,000 Reviews Collected by Kudobuzz: With triple the allocation included in the Wix Business Unlimited plan, your site can showcase far more customer feedback.
- Customer Loyalty Programs: In partnership with Smile.io, this plan enables you to reward your customers with awards points, coupons, and much more.
The Wix Business VIP plan costs $49 per month if you choose annual billing or $56 per month when you pay as you go. You can get a deeper discount if you purchase a two- or three-year contract.
Ideal Users of This Plan
The Wix Business VIP plan ideally suits small and medium-sized retail businesses that may already have brick-and-mortar locations and want to grow their online following and sales capabilities.
Anyone who sells in large volumes or sells a wide variety of products will benefit from the Wix Business VIP plan.
Enterprise Plans for Larger, Integrated Businesses
Wix doesn’t just serve small businesses; it also offers enterprise-level plans tailored to individual businesses. Wix designs each Wix Enterprise plan on a case-by-case basis, depending on a client’s needs.
While Wix Enterprise Plans vary by business, they all include Wix’s standard website features plus:
- A Dedicated Service Team: This includes an account manager, 24/7 priority support, and one-on-one coaching and professional advice to help you make the most of your website.
- Customizable User Permissions: With this feature, you and your colleagues can access, change, and track your website and your business from anywhere.
- Internal and External Integrations and Coding Capabilities: This means you can add third-party apps to optimize your website’s appearance and maximize its sales potential.
- Enterprise-Grade Security: With security tools that meet international commerce standards, this plan will protect your site from hackers and fraud.
- Custom Storage Capacity: This means you’ll always have the space you need for all of your website’s data, photos, and multimedia files.
- Monitoring and Infrastructure Upgrades: These features will help you keep your site active, efficient, and running at the optimum speed.
- Scalable Billing: Covering all of your business’s invoicing needs, this feature means you’ll never have to worry about large quantities of customer billing again.
To get a quote on a Wix Enterprise plan, you must request a call from a Wix customer service representative. These plans start at $500 per month and scale up based on your specific needs for professional website design and maintenance.
Ideal Users of This Plan
Medium-sized and large retailers or service providers, as well as large businesses in any industry, can benefit from a Wix Enterprise plan. These plans not only enable users to conduct business internationally but also provide the customer support they need to build and maintain a powerful, attractive website. That makes Wix Enterprise plans a top choice among industry leaders in sales, financial services, communications, hospitality, and more.
Creating a website for your business can certainly seem like a daunting task. But, now that you know what each Wix plan offers, you can choose the right one for your business and start building your new website.
Wix is a reliable, trusted company with a track record of customer satisfaction. That means if you decide to purchase a Wix plan, you’ll have the backing of a highly-rated website builder and support service.
For more information about launching a business or building a Wix website, check out these related guides and tools: