What Kind of QR Codes Should I Use for Videos?
If you’re ready to generate your first QR code but aren’t sure how to use it, here are a few ideas.
The most popular way to use a video QR code is by connecting it to a URL where fans can access bonus content for your videos. If you make multiple pieces of content around the same topic, creating a code that links to a secret page with affiliate links, products, and blog posts can be a great way to build loyalty and grow your fanbase.
Email List Sign-Ups
Many creators will use a video QR code that connects to an email sign-up form for their newsletters, guaranteeing that they have a dedicated audience who’s interested in their new content and product releases.
Links to Your Social Media
If you’ve got a particular social media account that you’re looking to grow, creating a unique QR code that links to the account ensures that your fans will funnel to the platform where you’re focused on building your fanbase. Since social media is critical for marketing and user engagement, many content creators will use social media links for their first QR code.
What Is a QR Code, and How Does It Work?
Quick response (QR) codes are unique codes that smartphones and tablets can scan with their built-in cameras. These codes are used for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:
- Sending someone to a URL
- Sending an email to a specified address
- Showing an image or video
Static QR Codes vs. Dynamic QR Codes
Static codes direct the client to a permanent URL or action and cannot be changed. Static codes are the most popular type of video QR code and are great for new users who want to test how well they work with their fans.
Dynamic codes can be edited and re-edited as needed — even after printing.
How to Make QR Codes for Videos
Making a QR code is easy! Here’s how to do it using our QR code generator:
- Select the type of code you’d like to make. Some of the options we provide include:
- Enter your content
- Customize the code with your brand colors or use a gradient to make your code pop.
- Add your logo or another image to help better brand your unique code.
- Customize the design with the right weight and style for your new code.
- Click “Create QR Code,” and you’ll have your new, unique code immediately ready for use.
- Test your QR code to ensure it works the way you want by aiming your smartphone camera at the code.
Should I Use a QR Code for Videos?
Using a QR code to market your brand on video is a fantastic, free way to use technology as a way to keep expensive printing costs down while also growing your business. However, before using a QR code, you should consider a few things, such as:
- Is your audience tech-savvy enough to know how to use a QR code?
- Will your code help grow your business, or will it just take up space?
- How can you use your unique QR code for a long-term strategy? Most videos are created to be evergreen; can you also have an evergreen marketing campaign tied into your QR code?
- How do your fans usually watch your videos? If they’re not using their phones and typically watch your content on a desktop, the QR code will not be used often.
Ready to get started? Use our free QR code generator to create your unique QR code now.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I change the way my QR code works?
If you create a dynamic QR code, you’ll have the ability to update the action scanning your code takes. However, this can be hard to manage when you’re making unique codes for every video, so we recommend instead updating the URL’s content your static code directs users to rather than dealing with maintaining costly dynamic codes.
How easy is it to use a QR code?
Both iOS and Android smartphones have built-in technology in their camera apps that automatically recognize a QR code. All a fan has to do is open their camera and scan the code; their phone will do the rest.
Are QR codes useful for video content?
Using a video QR code is an effective way to maximize your ability to grow your platform by offering enhanced content or ways for your customers to continue the conversation through email or social media. However, your demographic must be willing to use technology like this, so make sure you have a good idea of how well QR codes are received in your ideal customer base.
Can I use my new QR code in print?
Yes, if you want to use your video QR code for other marketing purposes, your new code can be used both digitally and in print. Feel free to put it on your marketing materials like posters, brochures, and even business cards. You can also add your code to your email signatures and have it on the main page of your website too.