RECOMMENDED: Find the perfect business for you with our Business Ideas Tool.
Many people these days are trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle and are placing more emphasis on nutritious food and regular exercise. An Orangetheory gym offers its members a highly-intensive workout which focuses on complete coach-led cardio and strength training programs while maintaining a target heart rate. It is a one-of-a-kind approach to exercising at health clubs, and it works.
Who is this business right for?
An Orangetheory franchise makes sense for anyone looking for a full-time opportunity in the popular health club industry. Owning an Orangetheory gym is the perfect match for someone who is interested in combining a healthy, active lifestyle with a well-known and respected business.
What happens during a typical day at an orangetheory franchise?
While some Orangetheory studio owners have a background as trainers and continue to teach classes after starting their own franchise, most owners fill their days by taking care of the same daily administrative and managing tasks which every business requires. There is one difference. Since Orangetheory franchise owners receive extensive support from the corporate headquarters, most franchisees find they can devote more time to promoting a welcoming atmosphere at their studios and are able to handle their customers' needs better than independent business owners.
What is the target market?
Orangetheory is not a run-of-the-mill gym. It attracts clients who are health conscious, but definitely not gym rats. Due to the class format, many Orangetheory customers are working people who are more serious about getting fit than hanging out.
How does an orangetheory franchise make money?
Owners of an Orangetheory franchise makes money through the sale of different tiers of memberships. These three different membership levels give members a set number of classes per month. Members can purchase additional classes at a discounted rate compared to non-members.
In addition to earning money on memberships, an Orangetheory studio can sell the brand's clothing and accessories.
What is the growth potential for an orangetheory franchise?
There is a huge potential for growth of the Orangetheory concept. As the only health club of its kind, Orangetheory franchisees are in the unique position of being able to offer a service with no real competition. Orangetheory began in 2010 with only one studio. Now there are over 525 gyms open with another 520+ gyms in development. The best news is that no Orangetheory studio has closed due to lack of members. Ever.
Since 2015, Orangetheory revenue has been up over 100 percent, and there is no reason to believe the business can not continue to grow.
Owning an Orangetheory gym is a great opportunity with a solid future.
What are some skills and experiences that will help you build a successful orangetheory franchise?
A background in physical fitness or strength training can be beneficial for new owners, but this does not mean that people new to the fitness market are unqualified to own an Orangetheory franchise. Although experience within the fitness industry is not mandatory, franchise owners need to have a solid business background, a passion for promoting a healthy lifestyle, and enough available funds to qualify.
What are the costs involved in opening an orangetheory franchise?
The costs to open an Orangetheory franchise are quite high. On the low end, the costs are just over $488.000, while on the high end, the costs can reach almost 1 million dollars. The majority of the cost of opening an Orangetheory franchise goes toward leasehold improvements, rent and the purchase of workout equipment. This cost includes everything except for ongoing fees.
Franchisees must have a net worth of over $500,000 and have liquid assets of $150.000 minimum to qualify for a franchise opportunity.
What are the steps to start an orangetheory franchise?
Once you're ready to start your orangetheory franchise, follow these steps to ensure that your business is legally compliant and avoid wasting time and money as your business grows:
- Plan your business. A clear plan is essential for success as an entrepreneur. A few important topics to consider are your initial costs, your target market, and how long it will take you to break even.
- Form a legal entity. Establishing a legal business entity prevents you from being personally liable if your orangetheory franchise is sued.
- Register for taxes. You will need to register for a variety of state and federal taxes before you can open for business.
- Open a business bank account. A dedicated checking account for your orangetheory franchise keeps your finances organized and makes your business appear more professional to your customers.
- Set up business accounting. Recording your various expenses and sources of income is critical to understanding the financial performance of your business. Keeping accurate and detailed accounts also greatly simplifies your annual tax filing.
- Obtain necessary permits and licenses. Failure to acquire necessary permits and licenses can result in hefty fines, or even cause your business to be shut down.
- Get business insurance. Insurance is highly recommended for all business owners. If you hire employees, workers compensation insurance may be a legal requirement in your state.
- Define your brand. Your brand is what your company stands for, as well as how your business is perceived by the public. A strong brand will help your business stand out from competitors.
- Establish a web presence. A business website allows customers to learn more about your company and the products or services you offer. You can also use social media to attract new clients or customers.
Select your state below for an in-depth guide on completing each of these steps in your home state.
Where can I find a business mentor?
One of the greatest resources an entrepreneur can have is quality mentorship. As you start planning your business, connect with a free business resource near you to get the help you need.
Having a support network in place to turn to during tough times is a major factor of success for new business owners.
Recommended: Fizzle.co offers video courses and a supportive online community of like-minded entrepreneurs. Try one month membership for free.
What are some insider tips for jump starting an orangetheory franchise?
One benefit of purchasing a franchise is the ability to take advantage of an established brand and business plan. Orangetheory has a very successful business model, and the best thing for a new franchise owner to do is to learn as much as he can about the business from the people who started the company.
How to promote & market an orangetheory franchise
Part of the contract between franchisees and the corporation requires owners to spend between $2.500 and $4,000 every month on local advertising. Franchisees need to adhere to corporate standards to retain their licenses.
Recommended: Get started with local advertising for your business with a $300 credit from Yelp.
How to keep customers coming back
One of the best ways to keep customers coming back is to provide a clean, welcoming exercise studio with a top-notch staff. Concentrate on providing individual attention to each member and ensure they have the best possible experience by making sure classes run on time.
How and when to build a team
A great team is essential to the success of an Orangetheory franchise. Everyone from instructors to reception needs to be friendly, helpful, passionate about fitness and focused on helping your franchise succeed. Franchisees should take advantage of the training program the corporate office offers to ensure every member of the staff knows how to do his job the right way.
State & Local Business Licensing Requirements
Certain state permits and licenses may be needed to operate a Orangetheory franchise business, if you’re opening your own studio. Learn more about licensing requirements in your state by visiting SBA’s reference to state licenses and permits.
Most businesses are required to collect sales tax on the goods or services they provide. To learn more about how sales tax will affect your business, check out our informative guide, Sales Tax for Small Businesses.
For information about local licenses and permits:
- Check with your town, city or county clerk’s office
- Get assistance from one of the local associations listed in US Small Business Associations directory of local business resources.
Certificate of Occupancy
Businesses operating out of a physical location typically require a Certificate of Occupancy (CO). A CO confirms that all building codes, zoning laws and government regulations have been met.
- If you plan to lease a location:
- It is generally the landlord’s responsibility to obtain a CO.
- Before leasing, confirm that your landlord has or can obtain a valid CO that is applicable to a Orangetheory franchise business.
- After a major renovation, a new CO often needs to be issued. If your place of business will be renovated before opening, it is recommended to include language in your lease agreement stating that lease payments will not commence until a valid CO is issued.
- If you plan to purchase or build a location:
- You will be responsible for obtaining a valid CO from a local government authority.
- Review all building codes and zoning requirements for your business’ location to ensure your Orangetheory franchise business will be in compliance and able to obtain a CO.
To avoid liability and potential lawsuits, Orangetheory franchise business should have their clients sign waivers.
An example of an appropriate waiver can be found here.
How much can you charge customers?
The average cost of a membership at Orangetheory is between $59 - $200 a month depending on the membership level. Non-members can take a single class for $28.
What are the ongoing expenses for an orangetheory franchise?
There are many ongoing expenses associated with an Orangetheory franchise. Besides the cost of labor, rent, utilities, insurance and other common business expenses there are franchise-specific costs. Orangetheory franchisees must pay an 8% royalty and a 1% brand fund contribution of gross revenue. If a franchise falls below a certain level of gross sales for the year, the franchisee must make up the difference in these fees. Besides these fees, there is also the monthly advertising fee of up to $4,000, a $250 per year per person refresher course fee, a $1000 per person cost to attend the annual conference and other assorted costs.
How much profit can an orangetheory franchise make?
Revenue for Orangetheory is up overall, but there is no information on average revenue for individual franchisees. The number of franchises continues to grow and many franchisees have multiple units.
How can you make your business more profitable?
Franchise owners can make additional money through the sale of Orangetheory clothing and accessories. Additional add-on services are restricted according to the franchise agreement.
The best way to increase profits would be to open up another Orangetheory gym in a populated area far enough away from your first location that it would be able to develop its own local membership.