RECOMMENDED: Find the perfect business for you with our Business Ideas Tool.
A resume writing service will assist job seekers by creating a resume that clearly communicates a candidate’s skills. Those who perform this service will have to interview candidates, and construct resumes that positively catch the attention of those reviewing the candidate’s resume. This service can include cover letters or thank-you letters to potential employers.
Who is this business right for?
People with English or journalism degrees will be attracted to the writing aspect of this business, but there's more to it than that. A resume is like a sales letter, and it needs to be easy to read. When most hiring managers spend only a few seconds on each one, the format and word choices have to count.
Those who have experience in HR and a thorough understanding of Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) will do well. You will need a certain amount of people skills to attract clients, but the results will matter far more than how friendly and personable you are. If 90% of your clients find a job in their field after paying you a visit, these numbers will speak for themselves.
What happens during a typical day at a resume writing business?
A resume writer may have to perform the following tasks on any given day:
- Conduct interviews with job candidates over the phone or in person
- Write and edit resumes or interview correspondence
- Research new hiring trends
- Market services to new clients via physical and virtual media
- Maintain social media listings and a website
- Adapt a resume to a particular market
What is the target market?
Entrepreneurs who want to enter this field are looking for clients who understand that a resume writing service could be the difference between a high-paying job and months of unemployment. Your clients will be pragmatic, long-term thinkers who understand the value of a strong investment today for the future of tomorrow.
How does a resume writing business make money?
Resume writers charge a fee for their efforts, which typically includes all services. In other words, there isn’t a separate fee for the interview, the editing process, etc. Fees should account for both the time and the level of skill of the writer.
What is the growth potential for a resume writing business?
A resume is still the first thing that employers look at when deciding whether or not to hire a candidate, so the market for a resume writing service is very stable. While resumes are easy to skim and dismiss by both humans and computers alike, that doesn’t mean they’re not an incredibly valuable tool for landing the job someone wants. Without a vast network of professionals (which few people have), a resume is the best way to stand out from the rest of the job-seeking pack.
What are some skills and experiences that will help you build a successful resume writing business?
Writing skills will certainly be at the top of the list for this business, but so will understanding how a hiring manager or ATS will scan a resume for certain keywords and time frames. Resume writers will need to know how to adapt a professional’s experience to fit new goals or interests if the person is trying to change fields. It helps to have an array of experience in an in-demand field, such as computer programming. These skills make it easier to pinpoint what candidates need to do to get the edge.
What are the costs involved in opening a resume writing business?
Most professional resume writers counsel would-be writers to start small by working from home. All you’ll need is a computer and a phone to start offering services, but you also need a way to get the word out that you're open for business. Buying a domain name, setting up a website, and establishing social media pages can be as low as $20. You can meet clients at a coffee shop if you want face-to-face time without renting office space. You may need a small business license, depending on your state, how much you make, and how many hours you work. If you choose to have office space, you'll need to factor in rent or leasing costs. All in all, startup costs can be under $50.
What are the steps to start a resume writing business?
Once you're ready to start your resume writing business, follow these steps to ensure that your business is legally compliant and avoid wasting time and money as your business grows:
- Plan your business. A clear plan is essential for success as an entrepreneur. A few important topics to consider are your initial costs, your target market, and how long it will take you to break even.
- Form a legal entity. Establishing a legal business entity prevents you from being personally liable if your resume writing business is sued.
- Register for taxes. You will need to register for a variety of state and federal taxes before you can open for business.
- Open a business bank account. A dedicated checking account for your resume writing business keeps your finances organized and makes your business appear more professional to your customers.
- Set up business accounting. Recording your various expenses and sources of income is critical to understanding the financial performance of your business. Keeping accurate and detailed accounts also greatly simplifies your annual tax filing.
- Obtain necessary permits and licenses. Failure to acquire necessary permits and licenses can result in hefty fines, or even cause your business to be shut down.
- Get business insurance. Insurance is highly recommended for all business owners. If you hire employees, workers compensation insurance may be a legal requirement in your state.
- Define your brand. Your brand is what your company stands for, as well as how your business is perceived by the public. A strong brand will help your business stand out from competitors.
- Establish a web presence. A business website allows customers to learn more about your company and the products or services you offer. You can also use social media to attract new clients or customers.
Select your state below for an in-depth guide on completing each of these steps in your home state.
Where can I find a business mentor?
One of the greatest resources an entrepreneur can have is quality mentorship. As you start planning your business, connect with a free business resource near you to get the help you need.
Having a support network in place to turn to during tough times is a major factor of success for new business owners.
Recommended: Fizzle.co offers video courses and a supportive online community of like-minded entrepreneurs. Try one month membership for free.
What are some insider tips for jump starting a resume writing business?
Many people start this business as a side project before transitioning to full-time. Instead of trying to market your services to everyone in every industry, you may want to stick with the field you have the most amount of experience with. For example, if you know what hiring managers are looking for in the medical or legal sectors.
Unfortunately, the neighborhoods with the highest unemployment rates may not have the funds to hire your services. Instead, focus on the larger cities where there will be more people with sufficient savings and foresight to recognize what a resume service can do for them. Owners can also offer services online if the demand in their area isn't high enough.
How to promote & market a resume writing business
Promoting a resume service will be all about showing candidates how you can make them money. Make your website easy to navigate, and update it regularly to promote your services. Consider investing in pay-per-click marketing on Facebook groups for job seekers. If a short-term investment now could net candidates tens of thousands of dollars or more a year, then this is an easy way to get the word out to candidates. Talk about how you get the attention of even the pickiest of decision makers. Cold calling and print media may also help get the word out if you're looking to stay local.
Recommended: Get started with local advertising for your business with a $300 credit from Yelp.
How to keep customers coming back
The best way to attract customers is to get everyone you work with a job! Hopefully you won’t need to retain customers because they’ll be with a company that promotes them based on their performance and not their resume. Be as involved as possible with your clients and the businesses at which they are apply to work.
Talk statistics to your customers and sell yourself— you want them to know how many people get a job because of you. Offer discounts and specials to new clients, or market exclusively to certain colleges or trade schools. You can consider offering a guarantee too, but guarantees can be tricky because the resume is certainly not the only component of getting a job.
How and when to build a team
Resume writing does have franchise opportunities, such as Red Star Resume or Action Resume. If you’re planning a full-scale launch, then you can consider hiring a team of professionals with valuable experience in HR.
However, it will likely be better to start off alone to build up your skills and client base. Once you feel comfortable that you know what it takes to make it in this business, then you can consider opening a franchise or hiring help.
State & Local Business Licensing Requirements
Certain state permits and licenses may be needed to operate a resume writing business. Learn more about licensing requirements in your state by visiting SBA’s reference to state licenses and permits.
Most businesses are required to collect sales tax on the goods or services they provide. To learn more about how sales tax will affect your business, check out our informative guide, Sales Tax for Small Businesses.
For more information about local licenses and permits:
- Check with your town, city or county clerk’s office
- Get assistance from one of the local associations listed in US Small Business Associations directory of local business resources.
Certificate of Occupancy
A resume writing service can be run out of an office. Businesses operating out of a physical location typically require a Certificate of Occupancy (CO). A CO confirms that all building codes, zoning laws and government regulations have been met.
- If you plan to lease a location:
- It is generally the landlord’s responsibility to obtain a CO.
- Before leasing, confirm that your landlord has or can obtain a valid CO that is applicable to a resume writing service.
- After a major renovation, a new CO often needs to be issued. If your place of business will be renovated before opening, it is recommended to include language in your lease agreement stating that lease payments will not commence until a valid CO is issued.
- If you plan to purchase or build a location:
- You will be responsible for obtaining a valid CO from a local government authority.
- Review all building codes and zoning requirements for your business’ location to ensure your resume writing service will be in compliance and able to obtain a CO.
Resume writing businesses should require clients to sign a services agreement before starting a new project. This agreement should clarify client expectations and minimize risk of legal disputes by setting out payment terms and conditions, service level expectations, and intellectual property ownership. Here is an example of one such services agreement.
How much can you charge customers?
Professional resume writing services vary widely depending on who is offering the service. Those with extremely low overhead and little experience may charge as low as $20 or less. Those with a wealth of knowledge though in a highly paid field can charge $700 or more for resume writing and up to $1,000 if it includes customized cover letters and thank-you notes.
What are the ongoing expenses for a resume writing business?
Ongoing expenses for a resume writing list will be fairly low:
- Computer maintenance
- Marketing expenses
- Office rental costs
- Refreshments for clients
- Ongoing education in resume building
How much profit can a resume writing business make?
Fortunately, most of the money you make will be pure profit. If you have 100 clients in a year, then you can make $100,000 at the top price echelon. These services are definitely worth it for many people, and the average yearly salary of a resume writer is just under $60,000 a year.
How can you make your business more profitable?
You can make your business more profitable by understanding and assisting with the entire job-seeking process. Offer practice interviews or coach job candidates on how to sell themselves both on paper and in-person. You can also do public speaking in schools about what it takes to make a resume that counts.