How To Design a Successful About Us Page
As you begin building a professional website for your business, you will need a successful About Us page to achieve your goals.
This article will show you how to design a successful About Us page, offer different About page layouts to better provide About Us page design templates. It’ll also touch on how having a strong About page ties into your business’s goals and overall website goals.
Make sure your business website has everything it needs to really shine. Refer to our How to Build a Website guide to learn more.
Before You Begin
Before fully diving in, it’s important to know which website builder will suit you and your business.
Not all website builders come with everything you may need. Finding the right fit for building and launching your business website will help you better organize your entire site, but especially your About Us page. Check out our Best Website Builder review to get started.
Along with this guide, check out these other helpful articles to learn what it takes to create a comprehensive business website using various website builders.
Understanding the Goal of Your About Us Page
A well-constructed About Us page for your business website requires a good grasp of who the general audience for your business includes and what they most want to know about you. This understanding will apply not only to this specific page, but also to your website as a whole and can help you determine how to measure your success.
If you need help identifying your business and website goals, our What Makes a Good Website guide includes a detailed breakdown.
Identifying Your About Us Page Goals
As straightforward as the goals of an About Us page may seem, it’s still worth taking the time to review how what goes into this page supports your business’s purpose and your overall website goals.
Of course, these goals will vary from business to business, which is why it’s key to find goals that fit your brand so you can achieve measurable success.
Here are some good questions to ask yourself to help you determine your About Us page goals:
- What type of business do you have? This information is vital to what your About Us page should include. Do you plan to launch a side hustle that might become your full-time business one day? If so, the story behind this journey will help inspire your About Us page. Do you instead already run a successful restaurant that recently experienced a bit of growth and change? In that case, updating your About Us page can help reconnect you to your target audience. Understanding the size and scope of your business will help give you a better grasp of what to include on this page.
- What kind of goods or services do you provide? Knowing what type of products and services you offer also will help you better understand what to include on your About Us page. Do you have a product unique to you and your business? If so, your customers likely will want to hear the story behind how you came up with this item. If you instead run a service-based business like a personal trainer does, visitors to your website and About Me page will want to know about your background and what led you to offering this service. Having a solid grasp of what you do and offer will better prepare you to construct a successful About Us page.
- What kind of growth and engagement do you want? Besides providing background information on you and your business, what other kind of engagement could your About Us page also include? Do you have a blog page that could fill in more details on what you provide? Would you like visitors to sign up for a newsletter to receive updates from your business? Would having them follow your business on social media continue to provide more useful information about you and your brand? This is a good time to consider how you’d like customers to return to your site and continue to engage with you and your company.
Your answers to these questions will help guide you toward crafting the About Us information most useful and engaging to your target audience.
After answering these questions, it’s time to connect your About Us page goals to a tangible way of measuring progress toward achieving them.
Using the right website builder for your business can make all the difference. Check out our Best Website Builder review to learn more.
Measuring Your About Us Page’s Success
Having goals for your About Us page is a great start, but how will you know if you reach them? The best way to ensure you achieve your About Us page goals involves setting specific and measurable targets with tangible timelines and relevance.
- Be Specific: A specific goal for your About Us page might be to reach 50 visitors to this page per day. Having a numerical value instead of a general idea can help you better track your success.
- Make It Measurable: A measurable goal for this page could be to have 40 people subscribe to your newsletter by clicking on a specific button or link from your About Us page.
- Make It Attainable: Possibly the most difficult task involves honestly assessing if you created realistic and reachable goals. If you have a particularly lofty goal, break it down into smaller steps that don’t feel quite so overwhelming.
- Stay Relevant: All of your About Us page objectives should help you reach your website and business goals. This page should focus on informing and encouraging customers to interact with you and your business. If you find yourself veering away from this goal, it’s time to gain clarity on your messaging and branding.
- Ensure It’s Time-Based: Setting a deadline for specific goals provides a clear indicator of achievement. If you give yourself one month to have 500 people visit your About Us page, you’ll know by the end of that month if you succeeded.
Once you have a set of specific About Us page goals with a realistic timeline, make sure they tie back to the overall intention and purpose of your website and business.
Aligning About Us Page and Business Goals
Now that you have specific goals for your About Us page, set them alongside your business goals. Will your About Us page goals help you achieve your overall business goals? Will your About Us page effectively help you achieve your website goals? If these goals seem to head off in different directions, revise them to ensure they all align.
Once you achieve alignment among your goals, it’s time to dive into what your About Us page will need to succeed. We’ll discuss how content and design can help achieve this.
Still need to clarify the goals and purpose of your website? Read our What Makes a Good Website guide to stay on track.
Determining Your About Us Page’s Content and Design
Your About Us page likely won’t be the first thing visitors see when they arrive at your site, but it’s still incredibly vital to the success of your business. Its structure should include digestible, engaging information about you and the story behind your business.
Adding certain elements to your About Us page can help you better achieve your goal of converting site visitors into customers. In addition, you can direct those visitors to other pages for more information or further engagement.
Designing the Best Structure
Visitors to your About Us page shouldn’t struggle to find key information regarding who you are and what you provide. This page should focus on enticing visitors to trust you and what you offer as well as clearly stating the nature of your products or services.
One of the best ways to do this involves using images of you and your team. Make sure to use professional-quality images with good lighting that clearly represent your brand.
If you offer a service, use photos that show that service in action. If you’re a hairstylist, for example, include images taken inside your salon that demonstrate your skills. This’ll give visitors a clear view of what your space looks like, what products you might use, and a general sense of what to expect.
If you work with a small team of people, showcase them on this page. Pair a high-quality headshot of each team member with a description of who they are and what they do written in a professional, friendly tone.
Structure your About Us page content according to the information site visitors will find most useful. Again, know the story your customers want to learn regarding your business and include a brief, yet informative overview. You also can use internal links to send visitors to pages with details on your process and products as well as to answer any other questions they may have.
Ultimately, this page should feature clear and concise information. The easier you make it for visitors to understand who you are and what you offer, the more likely you are to achieve your About Us page goals.
For more information, check out our How To Structure a Website guide.
Creating Engaging Content
While the previous section briefly touched on this, it’s worth highlighting again. The content on your About Us page will determine if people feel comfortable purchasing items or services from you.
Keep your target audience in mind when constructing this page. What’ll they find most interesting about you and your story? Focusing on these parts of your journey will help you craft honest and effective content that won’t clutter your page with unnecessary distractions.
This is a great place to list important background details for any products about which visitors may have general questions. If you’re a nutritionist or herbalist, for example, you might want to share the story behind how you select and source your ingredients and materials here along with any other relevant information visitors may want to know.
It’s important to take a moment to recognize that it can feel difficult to talk about yourself. It might prove helpful to ask existing customers to provide reviews to help get the ball rolling. Alternatively, you can reach out to trusted friends to help you craft the content this page needs to keep visitors interested in you and your brand. This page’s content should feel authentic without coming across as unprofessional.
Incorporating Key Elements for Success
Beyond the essentials every About Us page needs to achieve its goals — like optimal structure and engaging content — you also can include a variety of other key elements to help convert your visitors into customers.
Here are several useful elements you can add to your About Us page to promote its success:
- Images: Including images of yourself, your team, and your products or services will help you clearly and effectively communicate the tone and feel of your business. Friendly, inviting photos of you and your process can foster a sense of trust and professional intimacy with visitors. Always use high-quality photos, and ensure you own the rights to use them on your website.
- Internal Links: These embedded links help visitors navigate your entire site with ease. Great uses of these links within an About Us page might take visitors to a set of frequently asked questions (FAQ), your Terms and Conditions page, customer reviews, and your site’s Checkout page.
- Calls to Action (CTAs): Most commonly found as buttons or links, a CTA can be both the description of a product as well as the button a visitor can click to buy that item. Business websites also use CTAs to encourage visitors to sign up for a service or newsletter, view or purchase items, or reach related social media feeds. Pair compelling and informative descriptions with CTA buttons that read “Sign Up Now,” “Learn More,” or something similar.
- Social Media Icons: These icons link visitors to your business’s social media feeds. It’s always useful to include social media icons in your site’s header and footer, making them easily accessible to visitors. Your social media feeds provide a great place to highlight your products or services in action as well as display more images of you and your business.
- Chat Boxes: These offer another layer of engagement and can help you answer customer questions. Providing a chat box can make your business feel more accessible to visitors. It also can help you collect visitors’ email addresses, phone numbers, and other key information you need to measure the success of this page.
- Contact Forms: Another great tool for collecting your visitors’ information and encouraging interaction, contact forms provide an easy way for visitors to interact with you. Best situated at the bottom or end of your About Us page, these forms give visitors an opportunity to send you a message or even sign up for a newsletter or service.
Adding these elements to your About Us page will give you several tools to help convince visitors to trust you and your brand. They also can improve your website’s overall user experience.
Reviewing Successful About Us Page Examples
Sometimes it’s easiest to see success in action. Here are examples of some of the best About Us pages built using various website builders. Along with at least one visual for each, we’ll also explain what makes them so effective.
Successful GoDaddy About Us Page Example
Polymer clay accessories business Little Miss Poly uses several successful elements to build an engaging About Us page. First, the professional photo at the top of the page clearly highlights the products made by this company as well as other items that convey the brand’s tone.
Below that image, a bold statement highlights the prestigious award this business recently won — a great way to immediately foster trust among visitors. This page also includes a brief background story about the creative properties of polymer clay as well as details on where visitors can find Little miss Poly products in person.
The page ends with a way to contact the business owner. Its footer includes links to pages with more useful information, like the site’s products page, earring care instructions, and shipping information. It also features a chat box that enables a visitor to enter their name, email address, and any general question they might have. The chat box provides a great way for this business to remain accessible and collect vital information about its site visitors.
Successful Wix About Us Page Example
Interior design company Genny Rose Designs creates an engaging About page by using images and color to divide the page into two main sections. The “All About Us” section provides a brief history of the business, the team behind it, and what to expect.
The “All About Me” section then provides a deep dive into Genny, her qualifications, experience, and what she aims to offer each client. The colors and tone of this page match the overall feel of the website, and everything included here is professional, informative, and brief without feeling bare.
Successful Shopify About Us Page Example
Men’s fashion boutique and private label MACHUS uses its About Us page to not only tell its story, but also provide useful information regarding its rewards program.
Using a photo that displays its showroom and offers a clear representation of the brand, this page also includes the company’s mission statement plus several ways to reach out.
The right-hand side of this page outlines the shop’s reward points system. This indicates a clear understanding of the questions customers may have and then promptly answers them. This not only improves the overall visitor experience, but also encourages customers to make a purchase.
Successful WordPress About Us Page Example
Author, educator, and DJ Emilly Prado uses her About page to do many things. Pairing a photograph alongside a personal biography gives visitors an instant sense of what reading Prado’s writing will feel like as well as the general tone of her personality.
Including personal details with a professional bio highlights both the warmth of her writing and her achievements.
This page also includes many embedded links to other organizations in which Prado participates as well as an internal link to a sales page for her new book. These links help achieve a key goal of this About page, introducing visitors to Prado while also supporting the site’s overall goals of promoting the author, her work, and her new book.
Learn more about WordPress in our WordPress Review for Business article.
Successful Weebly About Us Page Example
Wellness and juice company Drink Mamey uses its About page to not only provide the correct pronunciation of its name, but also explain the unique story behind the brand.
This page features brand elements that appear throughout the site, such as the company’s logo in the bottom-left corner. It also includes illustrated images instead of traditional photos for an inspiring, creative touch. These illustrations match the branding found across this website as well as on the company’s branded clothing and other items.
This page also includes social media icons at the top and bottom, making it easy for visitors to follow the business on other platforms. It even has an email icon visitors can click on to send a direct email to the company.
Successful Squarespace About Us Page Example
The creative team behind publishing company and literary magazine Loam pack many useful and beautiful elements into their site’s About page. Beginning with a brief introduction to the company’s ethos and what it produces, the page also mentions a foundation which directly supports its work.
Further down the page, a list of the company’s core values prepare visitors for what to expect from its publications, magazine, and podcast. This clearly communicates the vision and purpose of this small, dedicated business.
Now that you have the tools to begin creating a successful About Us page for your business website, it’s time to find the right builder for you. Read our Best Website Builder review to find out which platform has the best About page layout to suit the needs of your website.