Best Ecommerce Website Builder
Shopify: Best for Powerful Ecommerce
The Shopify website builder is great for anyone looking to create a thorough and professional ecommerce website. Shopify has everything from easy-to-use layouts, a well-stocked app store, and analytics and marketing to keep your business growing.
If all you need are the basics, you can create an excellent online store in a matter of minutes with Shopify. But, if you want to create a compelling and well-designed store, be prepared to buckle down and devote some time to achieve greatness.
Starting at $29 per month, Shopify is our top-rated ecommerce website builder for small businesses.
WordPress + WooCommerce: Popular and Simple
We recommend using GoDaddy to host your WordPress ecommerce site. When you host your WordPress website through a GoDaddy WooCommerce package it comes with storage features, increased security, and a staging environment to help you build out your shop.
There are Standard and Premium WooCommerce options, and both help you set up your ecommerce site for success. Each contains a template with a built-in online store and blog, plus several useful plug-ins preinstalled. You can list as many products as you need, and there is a payment processing feature that is fairly easy to add to your site.
WordPress Hosting with WooCommerce starts at $15.99 per month when you host through GoDaddy.
GoDaddy: Simplicity for Ecommerce
While the GoDaddy Ecommerce Plan is the only plan on offer with ecommerce capabilities, it certainly contains quite a bit. Including versatile basics like product listings, flexible payment options like PayPal®, Apple Pay®, and Google Pay™. It even offers some of the lowest transaction fees out there.
The GoDaddy Ecommerce Plan allows you to sync your inventory and orders to marketplaces like Amazon and eBay. You can also add discounts and promotions and offer varying shipping fees for your customers. Unfortunately, GoDaddy doesn’t do a good job of passing along shipping savings to business owners, and its ecommerce functions will seem limited in comparison to Shopify’s.
The GoDaddy Ecommerce Plan starts at $24.99 per month.
WordPress + Shopify Lite: Small but Mighty Ecommerce
Adding Shopify Lite to your WordPress website is a great tool for anyone looking to add products to sell alongside a blog or portfolio. Shopify Lite also comes with a Buy Button, allowing you to connect directly with Shopify’s secure shopping cart platform.
Shopify Lite is easy to set up and customize, letting you sell directly from your existing WordPress site. Shopify does the work of generating the code you need to add products— all you have to do is copy and paste. Finally, you can customize the colors and features to seamlessly match your existing branding.
Shopify Lite for WordPress starts at $9 per month.
Weebly: Made for Ecommerce
When Weebly partnered with SquareⓇ in 2018, it created some affordable ecommerce options. All Weebly plans include some ecommerce capabilities; great for beginners or shops with limited inventory. However, Weebly does favor its clients using Square as the main point of sale system (POS) for its sites.
Weebly offers ways for you to sell digital downloads, online courses, ebooks, and more. However, if the main focus of your site is ecommerce, you will need the Weebly Performance Plan to utilize its full benefits.
Weebly Ecommerce Plans start at $6 per month.
Wix: Best Ecommerce for Creatives
Wix has an entire section of Wix Business & Ecommerce Plans with several pricing tiers to help you create your online store. With a Wix Business & Ecommerce Plan you can create customer accounts, offer payment plans, subscription services, and more.
Wix accepts third-party payment operators like PayPal, or you can use Wix Payments with a slight transaction fee. All Wix Business & Ecommerce Plans come with advanced features like abandoned cart recovery and unlimited products.
Wix Business & Ecommerce Plans start at $23 per month.
Squarespace: Expensive Elegance
Squarespace offers limited ecommerce options beginning with its Squarespace Business Plan. To get the best ecommerce offerings from Squarespace, you must have a Squarespace Advanced Commerce Plan, which comes at a steep price point.
Of course, what Squarespace does provide at each plan tier is incredibly useful to many small business owners— like subscription services and selling on social media platforms. But entrepreneurs on a tight budget may find Squarespace’s ecommerce options unfriendly.
Squarespace Business Plans start at $18 per month.
1. Shopify Ecommerce Website Builder
Shopify ranks first on our list of the best ecommerce website builders for several reasons. Specifically, Shopify’s flexibility, range of services, and inventory syncing make it the perfect fit for most online, brick-and-mortar, or hybrid shops. In a short time, you can have your business’s ecommerce website up and running through Shopify.
Shopify offers a 14-day free trial with no pressure to choose a plan beforehand. All you need to do is fill out a quick questionnaire about your business, enter your basic contact information, and then begin building your professional online store.
Adding and listing products is intuitive with the Shopify dashboard. This feature has menus, forms, and customizable options to help you grow and maintain your website and business. There are even ways to add themes or connect your personal domain if you already have one.
Be sure to save your work as you build your online store. Shopify doesn’t have an auto-save feature, so you have to stay on top of it.
Shopify Ecommerce Website Builder Pros
- Shopify offers metrics to track business, inventory management, and even accept international currencies.
- Shopify themes are easy to choose from, with built-in desktop and mobile capabilities.
- Shopify offers hundreds of apps and plug-ins, and many are free or low-cost.
- The Shopify POS systems allow for easy transactions anywhere, and unlimited storage space allows your brand to grow.
Shopify Ecommerce Website Builder Cons
- The lack of an autosave feature can cause frustration when setting up your ecommerce website.
- The Shopify pricing tiers start out fairly steep and, if you need to connect any apps, those fees can add up quickly.
- Shopify Pay is the only way to avoid transaction fees, limiting your sales margin and perhaps causing you to pass the burden to your customers.
Shopify Ecommerce Website Builder - 4/5
The Shopify ecommerce website builder is an awesome tool for small business owners looking to create a professional online store. Start your free trial today.
Try the Shopify Ecommerce Platform.
Read our full Shopify Website Builder Review.
2. WordPress + WooCommerce Ecommerce Website Builder
With Godaddy’s WordPress Ecommerce Hosting with WooCommerce you can sell physical products, digital downloads, subscriptions, and more, anywhere, anytime. Plus, with a quick set-up process, your store can get up and running in a matter of minutes. Plus, you get a customized domain, search engine optimization (SEO), regular back-ups, and top-notch security.
WordPress + WooCommerce Ecommerce Website Builder Pros
- With WordPress Ecommerce Hosting with WooCommerce, you get excellent and convenient product integration and inventory management.
- When hosting your WooCommerce store on GoDaddy, over 75 premium extensions are included. These can be product add-ons, shipping rates, Google Analytics™, memberships, and more.
- If you already have a WordPress site, adding WooCommerce will be an absolute breeze— you can have your online shop up and running in minutes.
- The low price point makes this one of the more competitive options, especially for beginners and small business owners.
WordPress + WooCommerce Ecommerce Website Builder Cons
- Some features of the WordPress Ecommerce Hosting with WooCommerce are upsells, which seem like a great deal but may not be necessary for certain shops.
- WooCommerce can rely too heavily on plug-ins to provide a functioning online shop.
GoDaddy’s WordPress Ecommerce Hosting with WooCommerce offers a great deal for small or beginner ecommerce websites. It’s geared towards those who already have a WordPress site hosted through GoDaddy, which makes it easy to install. It also comes with almost everything you would need to run a successful shop.
WordPress Ecommerce Hosting with WooCommerce is incredibly affordable, with pricing starting at $15.99 per month for the first year.
WordPress Ecommerce Hosting with WooCommerce - 4.5/5
With hosting through GoDaddy, building your professional online store will be an absolute breeze. Rest easy knowing that you have the GoDaddy support team to help you as you build your ecommerce site.
For instructions on how to set up your ideal WordPress website, read our How to Make a WordPress guide.
3. GoDaddy Ecommerce Website Builder
With the GoDaddy Ecommerce Plan, you can sync your orders and inventory, add discounts and promotions, and offer curbside pick-up. GoDaddy lets you set up and test ecommerce features for free on any of its plans. Rest easy knowing that everything will be fully operational when you’re ready to fully launch your online store with GoDaddy.
GoDaddy Ecommerce Website Builder Pros
- GoDaddy is incredibly easy for any technical skill level. You can have a working website up in a few minutes.
- Powerful SEO, marketing tools, and social media strategies are offered with the GoDaddy Ecommerce plan.
- The GoDaddy Ecommerce Plan is a complete package without the hassle of expensive add-ons.
- GoDaddy offers some of the lowest transaction fees.
GoDaddy Ecommerce Website Builder Cons
- The lack of complete design control can feel frustrating to some.
- GoDaddy doesn’t pass along significant deals on shipping costs to its users and its ecommerce capacity may feel limited for larger shops or retailers with brick-and-mortar stores.
GoDaddy offers plans for websites with and without ecommerce stores, making it a good fit for a wide variety of service and retail-based businesses, as well as freelancers and artists.
GoDaddy is affordable, with basic website plans starting as low as $9.99 per month, making it the website builder of choice for a broad range of industries.
Read our full GoDaddy Website Builder Review.
4. WordPress + Shopify Lite Ecommerce Website Builder
With Shopify Lite for WordPress, you can add ecommerce functionality to your WordPress site in just a few minutes. Drop the handy Buy Button into your WordPress blog or site to highlight any product you’d like to feature. If you don’t want to spend time creating code, Shopify automatically generates the code you need to add products to your site. All you have to do is copy and paste to have a beautiful storefront, complete with customizable colors to match your existing site.
WordPress + Shopify Lite Ecommerce Website Builder Pros
- Automatically adds ecommerce functionality to an existing WordPress site, making it a great way to monetize your website without having to devote energy to building an entire storefront.
- At $9 per month, Shopify Lite is incredibly budget friendly and still comes with 24/7 customer support.
- Sell in-person with the Shopify Lite downloadable POS mobile app.
- Shopify Lite can be fully integrated with your Facebook business page as well as your WordPress site.
WordPress + Shopify Lite Ecommerce Website Builder Cons
- If a fully fleshed-out ecommerce store is what you want, this will not magically turn your WordPress site into one. You will need a Shopify Basic plan for that.
- The transaction fees can really add up. Fees differ for online sales and in-person sales and can take up to 3% of your revenue.
- Shopify Lite provides you with one main user and one staff account login, so it’s really only best suited for very small businesses or freelancers.
WordPress with Shopify Lite - 4.2/5
With Shopify Lite you can easily add quick ecommerce functionality to your WordPress website. Rest easy knowing that you have the Shopify Lite support team to help you as you build and connect your brand.
Read our Shopify Website Builder review to learn more.
5. Weebly Ecommerce Website Builder
Since partnering with Square, the hardest part of building an ecommerce website through Weebly is the sign-up process. If you already have an email attached to a Square account, you must use a different email address when signing up for Weebly. If you don’t, you will automatically be signed up for the Square website builder by default instead. But once you’ve tackled this confusion, setting up your professional online store is simple. Again, if the main function of your site will be ecommerce, a Weebly Performance Plan is recommended.
Weebly Ecommerce Website Builder Pros
- The Weebly drag-and-drop editor is intuitive, simple, and effective.
- Weebly allows you to try out different themes and you can always swap out your theme whenever your store is ready for a new look.
- Weebly offers a free plan as well as pricing tiers for those working with smaller budgets.
- The Weebly app store is well-stocked with many useful ways to add extra functionality to your ecommerce site.
Weebly Ecommerce Website Builder Cons
- There’s no “undo” button so, if you accidentally delete something important, it may be impossible to get it back.
- Weebly’s website builder can get glitchy, leading you to have to close and reopen your web browser to fix the issue.
- Having to choose between Weebly and Square to get started can be a confusing barrier to entry.
Read our full Weebly Website Builder review to learn more.
6. Wix Ecommerce Website Builder
Wix has proven to be a highly adaptable hosting and ecommerce platform. Wix Business & Ecommerce Plans make it simple to create and manage your online store, ensuring growth for you and your small business. To make things as streamlined for its users as possible, Wix offers website hosting, domain names, apps, and additional software, all under one roof.
Wix Ecommerce Website Builder Pros
- Wix is intuitive and incredibly easy to use. You can have your online store running in a matter of minutes.
- Wix’s drag-and-drop functionality offers a high degree of control.
- With over 800 templates, there’s going to be a perfect fit fomembershir your ecommerce site.
- Includes appointment booking, ecommerce, and p features at all Business & Ecommerce Plan tiers. This is an incredible value since most competitors charge extra for these.
Wix Ecommerce Website Builder Cons
- Wix hasn’t completely worked out its mobile capabilities, so not all sites will be viewed well on mobile devices.
- Compared to other ecommerce website builders, sites hosted with Wix may have slower load times.
Wix offers a wide array of plans for business websites, regardless of if you need an online store or not. So if you’re an entrepreneur, a freelancer, or a small maker looking to get started, Wix has a plan for you.
Wix is pretty affordable with its introductory website plan starting as low as $14 per month.
Read our full Wix Website Builder Review.
Squarespace Ecommerce Website Builder
Squarespace ensures that anyone can create a beautiful ecommerce website, it just may take more time than planned. Wading through all the features and plug-ins that Squarespace provides for its Basic and Advanced Commerce plans can feel overwhelming. If you are a service-based business, the Squarespace Scheduling tool allows customers to book appointments with you. Many added features are useful, but some do come at a price.
Squarespace Ecommerce Website Builder Pros
- With any Squarespace Commerce plan, there are useful SEO tools, as well as other promotional features.
- Squarespace has fully customizable templates, plus designers you can hire.
- Squarespace has an “undo” button, while also saving any work you’ve ever done to your site, just in case.
- Its ecommerce functionality is versatile, allowing you to sell both online and in person.
Squarespace Ecommerce Website Builder Cons
- Everything Squarespace offers comes at a higher cost than its competitors.
- Depending on which version of Squarespace you have, you may be stuck with the template you choose forever, no swapping.
- It is easy to feel overwhelmed by all of Squarespace’s never-ending options, especially when advanced features are hidden or come at an added cost.
- There’s absolutely no free option available, so after 14 days you must either pay for Squarespace to host your ecommerce site or lose it all.
Squarespace Ecommerce Website Builder - 3.8/5
Squarespace is elegant, easy to use, and offers a lot of useful ecommerce features. You can get your online store up and running with Squarespace for as low as $26 per month.
Learn more by reading our Squarespace Website Builder review.
Overall, the Shopify ecommerce website builder is best for small business owners looking to create a professional online store.
The advanced functionality of the Shopify ecommerce platform can help any small or local business avoid having to hire developers or feel overwhelmed by the online shop design process. Shopify is number one for a reason.