As a small business owner, finding the best website builder to create a professional site can prove challenging. Most small business owners don’t have the time to develop coding skills, or the upfront cost to hire a designer. That’s where finding the proper website builder can really come in handy.
Our website builder comparison guide covers the best website builder software and even includes a website builder comparison chart. By the end you’ll know what the best website builder for small businesses will be so you can get started building your own site with ease.
Our top pick for small businesses: The GoDaddy website builder comes out on top for our web platforms comparison.
Best Website Builders Compared
|GoDaddy||4.7 /5||Yes||$14.99/month+||24/7||Free - $29.99/mo|
|Web.com||4.5 /5||No||$13.95/month+||24/7||$4.95/mo - $19.95/mo|
|Squarespace||4.4 /5||No||$23/month+||Help Center||$14/mo - $49/mo|
|Wix||4.4 /5||Yes||$27/month+||Priority Support Available||Free - $59/mo|
|Shopify||4.3 /5||No||$29/month+||24/7||$29/mo - $299/mo|
|WordPress||4.1 /5||Yes||$15.95/month+||Forums||Free - $1,000/mo+|
|Zyro||4.0 /5||No||$15.90/month+||24/7||$2.90/mo - $15.90/mo|
|Weebly||4.0 /5||Yes||$6/month+||Priority Support Available||Free - $26/mo|
|Duda||3.9 /5||No||$21.25/month+||Priority Support Available||$14/mo - $33/mo|
|BigCommerce||3.9 /5||No||$29/month+||Priority Support Available||$29/mo - $299/mo|
1. GoDaddy — Best Website Builder Overall
Godaddy consistently comes out on top of our website builder comparisons. This is mainly due to how easy this builder is to use. With GoDaddy, you can have a business website up and running within five minutes.
Plus, if you’re a service-based or local business, GoDaddy has an extensive suite of features included in most plans that allow you to track analytics, make social media posts, and more. All in all, we are consistently impressed with the GoDaddy website builder.
See How GoDaddy Compares
- GoDaddy Rating: 4.7/ 5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. You can add, customize, and organize a blog section to any page.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. You can connect payments to any GoDaddy plan, but fully integrated ecommerce plans start at $14.99/month.
- Templates: Yes. GoDaddy uses artificial intelligence to pick the best template for your business.
- Free Plan: Yes. Plus, you can test any GoDaddy plan out with a free trial.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: GoDaddy plans start at just $6.99/month.
2. Web.com — Best Featured Services
Web.com offers quite the array of included services. Ranging from professional help to get you started, search engine optimization (SEO) services, to web hosting, Web.com has most anything a small business owner needs to run a fully-functioning website.
Even though Web.com doesn’t offer a free plan, it does provide a deeply discounted trial period. You can test out the builder for just a few dollars and then decide if it’s right for you or not. With all the included features, we definitely think Web.com is worth checking out.
See How Web.com Compares
- Web.com Rating: 4.5 /5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. Web.com has blogging-specific templates and powerful SEO features.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes, but it’s pretty basic. A limited ecommerce plan starts at $13.95 per month and no Web.com ecommerce plan comes with unlimited products.
- Templates: Yes. Web.com has plenty of professionally designed and easy-to-use responsive templates that are great for beginners.
- Free Plan: No. However, Web.com does offer significantly discounted rates for the first 30 days, making it low stakes to try out.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: After the introductory period, Web.com plans start at $4.95 per month and up.
3. Squarespace — Best for Aesthetic
Squarespace is known for making gorgeous websites accessible to small business owners. Whether you’re in a creative field, run a service-based business, or need a professional portfolio site, Squarespace has you covered.
Squarespace also comes equipped with advanced analytics and SEO guides that even complete beginners can understand and use. It makes doing business online easy, with options for ecommerce, appointment scheduling, restaurant menus, and so much more. Some of these options cost extra, but their functionality often receives rave reviews.
See How Squarespace Compares
- Squarespace Rating: 4.4 /5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. Squarespace offers several templates for blogging and comes with SEO features to help your blog be successful.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. Squarespace has ecommerce-specific plans starting at $23 per month and ways to include scheduling and online ordering.
- Templates: Yes. Squarespace has some of the best templates around in terms of design and ease of use.
- Free Plan: No. However, Squarespace does offer a 14-day free trial for you to get a feel for what this builder can do.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: The Squarespace Personal plan starts at just $14 per month.
4. Wix — Best Free Plan
Wix is one of the most popular website builders around and with good reason. Even though it has been around for a while, Wix has done a good job of updating templates and services to feel fresh and sleek. Plus, Wix is one of the simplest website builders to use regardless of your technical skill level.
The Wix Free plan is also one of the more robust free options available. It allows you to get used to the builder before committing, and there’s quite a bit you can do with it. However, we always recommend upgrading as the Wix free plan comes with ads and branding and won’t allow for a custom domain. But, it’s a great starting point for trying out all the different templates and features of Wix.
See How Wix Stacks Up
- Wix Rating: 4.4 /5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. Wix has blogging templates and comes with SEO wizard tools.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. Wix offers unlimited products and ecommerce plans start at $27 per month.
- Templates: Yes. Wix uses an introductory quiz to find the right template for your business, and you can swap templates at any time.
- Free Plan: Yes. One of the best ones out there.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: The Wix Combo plan starts at $16 per month.
5. Shopify — Best for Ecommerce
Shopify often ranks at the top for best ecommerce platform and with good reason. With powerful analytics and an intuitive website builder, Shopify is a great tool for anyone looking to create an online store.
Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced seller, Shopify is easy to use and offers a variety of plans to suit businesses of all sizes. With social and marketplace integrations, it’s easy to grow your business across multiple platforms. And you can rest easy knowing that Shopify has excellent 24/7 support to aid you if any issues arise.
See How Shopify Compares
- Shopify Rating: 4.3/ 5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. Shopify has blogging pages and SEO analytics to help you promote your online store.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. Shopify was built for ecommerce.
- Templates: Yes. Shopify can choose a template for you using AI, or you can choose from professionally designed templates.
- Free Plan: No. Although Shopify does come with a 14-day free trial.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: Shopify plans start at $29 per month.
6. WordPress — Best for Customization
WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS) out there, serving as the foundation for over 40% of the internet. This robust platform has a vast support network and a seemingly limitless number of themes and plugins to choose from for customization. WordPress is also completely free to use, however, there is a catch.
If you don’t have a wealth of technical knowledge or time to learn a new skill, WordPress might not be the best fit. And even though the software is free, the costs associated with WordPress can stack up quickly.
First, you must find a reliable host for your WordPress website, which can range anywhere from a few dollars a month to thousands, depending on the needs of your business. Plus, many themes and plugins for WordPress can come at a premium price, adding more to your budget. However, if you plan ahead and roll up your sleeves, WordPress can prove to be one of the most versatile platforms for your small business website.
See How WordPress Compares
- WordPress Rating: 4.1 /5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. WordPress is possibly the best blogging platform available.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. With the WooCommerce plugin, you can instantly add incredible ecommerce capabilities to your site.
- Templates: No. WordPress does not provide templates. You can, however, connect themes to your site.
- Free Plan: Yes. Although you must purchase a domain name and a web hosting package, the WordPress software is completely free.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: When users sign up with our recommended host, Bluehost, WordPress hosting plans start at $2.95 per month.
For small business owners looking for the best of both worlds, we recommend using Bluehost to host and create your WordPress site. The Bluehost Builder was created specifically to help create a WordPress site with minimal technical know-how.
7. Zyro — Best for AI Functionality
Fairly new to the scene, Zyro has been around since 2019 and uses AI features to help users create a website in under an hour. Zyro features include helpful image editing tools, allowing users to resize, remove backgrounds, and improve image quality — all for free. Plus, there’s an AI content writer to help those looking to better structure blog posts and other necessary content for marketing and building a website.
Zyro is also one of the easiest website builders to use, especially for beginners on a budget. For under $3 per month, you can gain access to all the included Zyro tools and publish your professional website.
See How Zyro Compares
- Zyro Rating: 4.0 /5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. There’s even an AI tool to help you better construct blog posts.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. Sell over 2,000 products and integrate shipping across multiple platforms, all for $15.90 per month.
- Templates: Yes. There are AI-recommended and professionally designed templates available.
- Free Plan: No. However, you can get started building for free and take as long as you need. Payment is only required for publishing a site.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: $2.90 per month.
8. Weebly — Best for Affordability
Since partnering with Square back in 2018, Weebly has been able to bring affordable ecommerce to many small business owners and websites. Its drag-and-drop editor is one of the easiest to use and allows you to swap templates to test out different designs. Plus, all Weebly templates and themes are mobile-responsive, so you can rest easy knowing your site looks good no matter what type of device it’s being viewed on.
Not only is Weebly excellent for adding ecommerce functionality to your site, but it’s also quite the contender for blogging capabilities. With plans starting as low as $6 per month, Weebly is an affordable website builder for almost any small business owner looking to create a professional website on a budget.
See How Weebly Compares
- Weebly Rating: 4.0 /5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. With Weebly, you can easily create a successful blog.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. Weebly was designed to offer ecommerce at any price or plan level — even the free plan.
- Templates: Yes. Referred to as “themes” Weebly offers an array of professionally designed themes that can easily be swapped out.
- Free Plan: Yes. You will have Weebly branding and won’t be able to have your own domain, but you can get a functioning ecommerce site for free with Weebly.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: Weebly premium plans start at $6 per month.
9. Duda — Best for Beginners
Duda is a great tool for users looking to create a functional website with minimal effort, so much so that we often recommend this platform for beginners. Plus, small business owners can offer a wide variety of services, set up client accounts, and scale their business models with Duda.
Duda uses some of the fastest servers available to ensure that all Duda sites load quickly, something that’s necessary for good SEO. Some of the available customizations might feel limiting, but if you’re a web-building beginner you most likely won’t even notice.
See How Duda Compares
- Duda Rating: 3.9/ 5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. You can create a blog with Duda, however, the available features are limited.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. Duda has a separate set of plans dedicated to ecommerce.
- Templates: Yes. Duda offers hundreds of professionally-designed templates.
- Free Plan: No. Duda does offer a 14-day free trial of any plan.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: Duda plans start at $14 per month.
10. BigCommerce — Best for Large Ecommerce
As the name suggests, BigCommerce is geared toward business owners looking to build a large ecommerce store. One of the biggest benefits of using BigCommerce is all the included ecommerce features, ideal for scaling up your online business. Plus, with its easy-to-use page-building software, anyone can get a functioning online store open, regardless of your tech level.
See How BigCommerce Compares
- BigCommerce Rating: 3.9/ 5
- Blogging Capabilities: Yes. BigCommerce offers blogging capabilities, but with limited features.
- Ecommerce Functionality: Yes. It’s almost all BigCommerce focuses on.
- Templates: Yes. However, the selection of templates might feel limiting.
- Free Plan: No. But, BigCommerce does offer a 15-day free trial of any plan.
- Paid Plan Starting Cost: BigCommerce plans start at $29.95 per month.
Now that you’ve seen our website builder comparison, you now know which one might be the best for building your business website. Whether you’re looking to start a blog or an online store, there’s a good fit out there for you.
Get Started With the Best Overall Builder
GoDaddy is easy and affordable and comes with tons of included features to help any small business website succeed. Get started with GoDaddy for free by clicking the button below.